Note: I have never told this story outside of my family. It seems appropriate, given that Coach Summitt received the Arthur Ashe award for Courage at this past weeks' ESPY awards. It's also appropriate because this year is the 40th anniversary of Title IX, something I will be discussing in another post.
When I was eleven years old, Pat Summitt called me.
I don't mean she called my house looking for Dad, or called home by mistake in search of an office phone. No. This was a deliberate phone call, by Pat Summitt, looking for me. "Hello, Alysa, this is Pat Summitt from Tennessee." Verbatim.
I was eleven. We had just started our rivalry with Tennessee. To say I was terrified of Pat Summitt is understating the point. She is an icon of the sport. She's naturally terrifying because of her intensity, her drive, her winning history...it's PAT SUMMITT. I mean, cripes!
And I say this as a kid who had spent the past four years on a bus with Rebecca Lobo, so I tend to be unfazed by athlete superstars. This was a whole different kettle of fish.
This is also coming from a girl who spent the ENTIRE very first UConn/Tennessee game on January 16th, 1995, in the Gampel student lounge playing SuperMunchers on a Compaq computer. So if this nerd was freaked out by Pat Summitt, it was a very, very, very big deal.
She had heard, I'm assuming from my father, that I had been saying to people that The University of Tennessee looked like a really good place to go to school. I knew this information from two sources - the games I had seen on TV of the Lady Vols playing, and the media guides I had stolen from press rooms when I snuck back there during games to hunt for food or Diet Coke.*
*some kids collect stamps, I collected media guides of women's basketball programs and and tried to memorize the school mascots of every single Division 1 program. It became a huge game with the team to see if they could stump me. I could not be defeated.
I had watched our game tape of the 1995 National Championship about 29347 times. I thought Michelle Marciniak was terrifying. I thought Dana Johnson could rip me in half. And I was particularly drawn in to the replay of Laurie Milligan's turnaround jumper at the foul line near the close of the first half. I will not lie: I spent hours on my basketball court attempting to perfect that jumper. "Milligan fakes, spins, gonna put it up from the free-throw line - good! Milligan hits! Connecticut brings it up and they're not gonna get a shot off, Laurie Milligan with the clock rolling down, to bring Tennessee into the locker room, leading 38-32."*
*That is VERBATIM what the announcer said on the highlights video I have in my Mom's basement. And yet I wondered why I didn't get a real boyfriend until I was 23.
When I heard that famous drawl on the answering machine, I started screaming and could not stop. My Mom, listening in the next room, howled with laughter. I was paralyzed with fright; not because of Pat, but because of the implications.
I thought Dad would garrotte me. I felt guilty that she called me. I mean, this was Pat Summitt! Tennessee! The supposed antithesis of everything we were at the University of Connecticut, our 'mortal enemy', was on my answering machine, addressing me by name, saying in a quite cheerful voice, "I hear you like orange!"
Benedict Arnold didn't have anything on me. I began picturing my funeral.
Thankfully, my Dad thought the entire situation was absolutely hilarious and kind of cool. I figured that was the end of it. I'm positive I was so freaked out I never returned her call.
A few weeks later during the 1997 Dayton Regionals I ended up meeting Coach Summitt. I'm not sure if it's inappropriate to call her "Pat" so I'll stick with "Coach Summitt" out of respect. I don't remember how this meeting came about, but I think we were due to play them in a few days for the NCAA tournament.
I was shaking the entire time. Being that I was very young but very aware of Coach Summitt's history and her legacy, I made sure I was polite and didn't say anything too ridiculous. In fact, I don't think I really said much of anything. I think I gaped. She was gracious, and welcoming. I can't recall what we talked about but she definitely shook my hand and looked me dead in the eye, which made me feel important. I'm positive this meeting wasn't because she saw me as a potential recruit considering I was, well, the biggest little dork on the face of God's green earth. I was wearing a gigantic Nike shirt that probably could have doubled as a nightgown with a Nancy Drew book tucked under my arm, blinking behind oversized metallic purple rimmed glasses my sister had stepped on once during a game of one-on-one in the Seton Hall gym, so one lens stuck out and the other pushed into my cheek. My hair was probably unbrushed and I had a unibrow that looked like a caterpillar took a vacation on my face.
I actually spent most of that afternoon hanging around the gym with my brother and Coach Summit's son Tyler, who I recall as being an outgoing and energetic kid. I didn't meet her then-husband RB, but he was around I'm sure. We lost to Tennessee that year in the Dayton Regional Final - the year we lost Shea to that horrific ACL tear, the sad first of many sad firsts and ends in her career - and flew home, and that was that. I haven't seen or spoken to her since. But I will never forget that.
Let me just clear this up right away. Pat Summitt is a titan of women's basketball. She practically IS women's basketball.
I know. I'm the daughter of Geno Auriemma. I've met Barack Obama twice. I've been in the Hall of Fame to watch my father inducted alongside Charles Barkley and Dominique Wilkins. Tennessee is the grits and gravy-soaked Evil Empire and we're the cool Yankee rivals with good posture and Katharine Hepburn houses on our coastline. I should be stoned for even suggesting a compliment towards Pat Summitt.
I would be the worlds' most ungrateful, insipid, spoiled, solipsistic idiot if I didn't recognize the importance of this woman in the women's rights movement and the game of basketball as a whole. Women's basketball as an institution would be NOTHING without that woman, and I don't think hyperboles exist in this situation.
Everything my father has done in the world of womens' basketball, Pat Summitt did it first. It's like that episode of South Park "Simpsons Already Did It". Pat Summitt is The Simpsons in this corollary. (Sentences I never thought I'd say.) She got a 39-0 season before UConn did, she got a Championship 3Peat before UConn did, she got the best recruits before UConn did. And she did it with grace and a sense of dignity that you cannot argue. I won't try to argue it. I am General Disarray, to keep up the South Park comparison. Pat Summitt Already Did It.
Pat Summitt has a gold medal, and more championship trophies, and 1,000+ wins. Whether you like it or not, she is the number one reason my father was even able to do half of what he's done. And if I can give her those kinds of props, you can too. She is the standard to which we should all aspire for in terms of grit, clout, proficiency, success, and determination. And she did it without dropping nearly as many f-bombs as my Dad does. So...she's probably a little classier, but Southern people just tend to sound classier than Philadelphia people do in general. I think it's the accent.
When I read of her diagnosis of early-onset Alzheimer's last spring, I was heartbroken for her and her family. Watching the games was too upsetting, because she wasn't the same coach I remember from all of those years seeing her patrol the sidelines like a lioness.
When I read of her retirement this May I was saddened but not surprised, and wished her Godspeed.
When I read the reaction of the CT newspapers, read everyone's references to the UConn/Tennessee rivalry and the 'disappointment' that Pat and Dad didn't 'settle their differences or have another UConn/Tennessee showdown before Pat stepped down'...I was enraged.
How dare you, newspeople and sportscasters and the whole lot of you, make this about an isolated incident that is merely a footnote in the epic, a stone in the glass slipper, a crack in the Yellow Brick Road? Or the Orange Brick Road, if we want to be adorable about it (and I NEVER pass up a chance to attempt adorable).
Why can't you celebrate the stuff that happened before my Dad even got into the picture? Hell, before Gampel Pavilion even existed? The gold medal, the national championships, the grand tradition, the countless record-breaking crowds? Pat was winning championships before Dad even coached one game of women's basketball. I'm not knocking anything my Dad has done. If you've watched a championship game on TV, chances are you've seen me blubbering like a fool at the end of it at one point or another. I know my Dad's legacy. I'm just saying Pat was there first.
If I can get over that moment in time, you can too. I mean, you can still wallow if you want, but it'll probably be easier to choose to move past it. Be happy or be miserable. The work involved is pretty much the same for both.
This has nothing to do with Geno Auriemma or the University of Connecticut. Yes, I realize I could just say "Dad" in this instance, but really the parent/child relationship has nothing to do with this either. I'm just speaking as a UConn alum and current UConn graduate student who is seriously annoyed with the childish behaviors of specific journalists regarding this issue. The attention should be focused squarely on Pat Summitt, her legacy, and the new road the Lady Vols will now go down with Summitt's adjusted role as head coach emeritus. A lot of support and well-wishes, by the way, should be accorded to the new head coach Holly Warlick. She served as Pat's first AC for a long time and played under Pat as well, and will have no problem adjusting to this new role. The transition should be pretty seamless and I hope they do well.
And all of these stories about how it's 'such a shame' that Dad and Pat didn't 'kiss and make up' are forgetting one piece of the puzzle. They had a great conversation and hug in Denver, during Dad's open practice at the Final Four. When I read the recap by Mike DiMauro in the New London Day, I had to walk off to a private area because it was raining on my face. Not because I missed my Dad and thought it was a lovely example of his class, something I really don't think he displays enough (and more people should be aware of the kind of person he is that has nothing to do with snarky comments or side jabs). Nor did I cry because of "Oh, look at that, the conflict is over! Maybe we'll play them next year!? I'LL BE ON THE TEEVEE BOXES AND EVERYTHING IS ABOUT MEEEEEEE."
I cried because of a monument to the women's game who is currently battling a major, major disease that I would be far too weak to deal with. I cried because that disease, that horrible, memory-leeching illness, could have easily been one of my parents, and I would not have the guts to endure that. I don't know if I could have nearly the strength that Tyler has to watch his mother fight this battle every day. To lose your memory is to lose a very deep part of yourself. Memories constitute most of your identity. They are a major signifier of self and person-hood. To lose your memories can be conflated with losing yourself.
I cried because some things are just much bigger, and more important, than stones in your shoes. You can take your shoe off and let those stones go now, journalists of CT newspapers. And you know who you are, and you know what you do to piss me off every single time I read your articles or blogs.
They're just pebbles. They'll go right back to the ground. Let go, for the love of God. And I'm what, 26? And actually LIVED this experience? And I am telling you enough is enough? That's probably a cue for you to focus on what really matters here.
Pat Summitt's identity splashes over every part of the University of Tennessee, the city of Knoxville, women's basketball, and the triumph of women in sports in general.
I will treasure all of those memories that she has given our state as well, preserved forever on tape and DVD in the state of those epic matches in the tournament and regular season.
But I will mostly remember that this mutliple championship winning coach, on her way to another championship in 1997, called me on the phone, remembered my name, and looked me in the eye as an eleven-year-old with gnarled hair with a gaze that said, "You are on my level."
But no one is on her level.
She's at the Rocky Top.
ally
PS. Stay tuned for my thoughts on Title IX's 40th Anniversary and other blog topics I've been kicking around. This month was bonkers but I'm a bit more settled down, now.
PPS. I have a few plans for posts during the Olympics. I'll probably be taking polls on twitter to get that sorted out as to how exactly I plan to post during that time. Will let you know.
Dang...I seem to have something in my eye....
ReplyDeleteFirst sentence in PS typo: I think you meant "Title IX"
ReplyDeleteI GUESS YOU MISSED TE POINT. YOU MUST BEBONE OF THOSE REPORTERS SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT. VERY NICE TRIBUTE!! THANKS.
DeleteWell said!
ReplyDeleteDarnit, Ally! Making this Stanford fan cry. Good job.
ReplyDeleteMaybe if Geno can raise this child he is not so bad after all. As the mother of a former female Division I athlete and now assistant Division I soccer coach, I agree with all your insight into Pat's role in making sure my daughter could follow her passion. I was a senior at UTK the first year Pat coached. Proud UTK grad. You would have loved it at the University of Tennessee! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWow! Wonderful tribute. Thanks from a Tennessee Volunteer.
ReplyDeletegreat story. i am a UT fan and really enjoyed your post. much respect to you.
ReplyDeleteGreat story, from another Tennessee fan that doesn't "like", but respects your dad. Kudos
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said Ally, thank you for a different prospective. You would have loved UT.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this wonderful, worthwhile, touching tribute to the incomparable Pat Summitt, who would, by the way, let you call her Pat. Well done.
ReplyDeleteGreat story. Great job!
ReplyDeleteOne minor point, though: Pat's ex-husband's name is R.B. not RJ. :)
May GOD bless you, young LADY!
ReplyDeleteThat is a wonderful testimony.
Wow! As a UT undergrad I would sneak into Stokley Center to watch a Lady Vol practice. Coach Summitt made me a better person because of her teaching and passion. I get the feeling it happens at UConn as well.
ReplyDeleteFrom a Lady Vols fan - if the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, this article may prove there is another side of Geno that we don't see very often.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful passionate meaningful writing. What a wonderful contribution to everyone for the story you have shared. Bravo.
ReplyDeleteLet me add to the chorus of Tennessee alums and fans here who absolutely loved the classy and beautiful way that you wrote this, Ally. The fact is, UConn and your dad made Pat and our Lady Vols better as well. Wouldn't have been quite the same without you guys. This is the first thing I've read of yours, but it's clear you've got a real skill. Thank you again, from high atop Rocky Top!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for "getting it!" I have very little respect for the Conn. media, but you I respect.
ReplyDeleteWell said. I couldn't agree with you more. Sure, there is time for occasional rivalry, but there should always be respect.
ReplyDeleteWow, this huge Lady Vol fan says thank you! You're a tribute to how your parents raised you. Geno can't be all bad to have such a wonderful daughter!
ReplyDeleteAs a UT alum and fan of PHS "Thank You" for saying what we think even better than some of us could.
ReplyDeleteYour dad is an excellent BB coach.
This was two strong willed people who had issues. We as fans blew it out of proportion. Thanks for your wonderful comments about Pat and may GOD bless you in life's journey. You sound like a person with great intellect. If you are "nerdy" I could relate to you easily.
Great Blog. This is the first time I have visited your site and as a Lady Vol fan I must say that you are quite an impressive young lady. Thanks for your candid post and your thoughfulness. Your dad is a talented coach and I am proud that Coach Summitt laid the groundwork for the rivalries to exisit in the first place. Just imagine where women's athletics would be without Title IX, Pat Summitt, C. V. Stringer and many other of the forerunners in the game. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteGreat Blog. This is the first time I have visited your site and as a Lady Vol fan I must say that you are quite an impressive young lady. Thanks for your candid post and your thoughfulness. Your dad is a talented coach and I am proud that Coach Summitt laid the groundwork for the rivalries to exisit in the first place. Just imagine where women's athletics would be without Title IX, Pat Summitt, C. V. Stringer and many other of the forerunners in the game. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteAlly, this is an amazing tribute to Coach Summitt. Well done young lady..WELL DONE !!!
ReplyDeleteCrying!!! Said in a beautiful way!! We back Pat!!!
ReplyDeleteWell said, Ally. My name is Lindsey and I am Pat's niece. I remember meeting your Dad at the 96 Olympics in Atlanta. I traveled a lot with Aunt Trish since I was perfect age to play with Tyler and sort of babysit :) You and I probably sat in the same stands many of times watching this rivalry, I so understand many of the things you were saying! I am heading up there in Aug. for a girls weekend and I'll have to share this with her, I'm more than sure she will appreciate it! I also want to say that it broke our hearts, too, to see her on the sidelines this year. So much so that I called Tyler one night and said, "Is this worse than what I thought?" We talked for a while and you know if the she even jumped up and yelled "REBOUND" twice in a row the media would have ran off with it as a dementia moment. For me, I haven't seen her miss a beat, although I do know she has her moments, I just haven't seen it yet (and hopefully I won't for a long time!). I'm so happy someone posted this to fb and I was able to read it!
ReplyDeleteNot to many things make me cry but your words did. This was an article that should make 40 and 50 year olds stop and think. A 26 year old has more maturity than all of us.
ReplyDeleteA new fan to your blog and a Tennessee fan. God bless you!
Ally,
ReplyDeletePat's niece sent me this, said I had to read it. It was awesome and well said. Your dad isn't all that bad, it gave us something to look forward to. Oh and btw, do you have that 1995 National Championship game tape that you were talking about? Would love to borrow it.
Laurie Vizzini (formerly Milligan:)
Wow Laurie, not a better tribute to you than this young lady (and I'm sure she was one of thousands) try to emulate your play when she was a little girl. I'm a 54 y/o former Div I men's basketball player and I still remember the high school players in my area that I tried to pattern my game after when I was a boy. What I love about Coach (I cannot make myself call coaches by their first names) Summit is all of the outstanding young women that have come out of her program. The wins and championships are nice but the legacy is young women like yourself and what you are doing with your lives. PS ---- Ally, your Dad's legacy will be the same. Two wonderful people that changed and molded hundreds of young women's lives!
DeleteThanks, well done!
ReplyDeleteNicely stated. I can't say I am a PS fan but I certainly do have great respect for this woman who set the stage for WBB as we know it today. And my prayers are certainly with her in her upcoming personal battle.
ReplyDeleteHear, hear Ally, wonderfully written. From a UConn fan.
ReplyDeleteWithout a doubt one of the classiest things I've ever read. Thanks from a Tennessee fan who has now softened a little on the evil that is U Conn :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice tribute to "the first lady " in Tennessee. I think whatever went down between Pat and Gino is trivial and passe, and has been beaten to death by the media. You, being media, seem to see things in a much more humane aspect...I might even like your dad because he had a hand in your formative years.( I'm a TLV fan) It was nice to read a slightly different slant on meeting Pat, and finding that she was a class lady. I look forward to reading more of your interesting sports columns. Keep on keepin on!
ReplyDeleteWow,this was awesome. I am a Tennessee fan from wayyyyy back. You have truly hit the nail on the head with this article. Thank you for your kind gracious words about Pat and for giving us some insight to the world you grew up in. I too bet you would have loved Rocky Top, lol. May God bless you in your future.
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful tribute..
ReplyDeleteFrom a Tennessee Vol: What a touching tribute. Thank you for recognizing what this is all about and for acknowledging Pat's legacy. The rivalry with your dad's teams has it made it so much more fun and raised the level of competition in women's basketball to unprecedented heights. Much luck to you in graduate school at UCONN although you are more than welcome to finish your studies in Big Orange Country! :)
ReplyDeleteAlly, thank you for the tremendous respect you have shown our beloved PAT. Yes, you would have fit the mold of her recruits, and she would have had a fantastic foundation to shape -yes into a Lady Vol. Thank you for informing the CT and ESPN crowd of the LADY PAT is.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ally. A very classy tribute to my favorite coach! Ken in Murfreesboro, TN
ReplyDeleteYou have renewed my faith in youth and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for these words of wisdom. The media is ruthless and driven for glory. The real story is we are losing a great icon to a horrible disease.
ReplyDeleteA Big Orange Fan Who Loves Pat and Basketball,
How fantastic to hear praise and respect for Pat outside Big Orange Country! Written with a lot of heart and class..well done.
DeleteYou have warmed the hearts of many people with this!What a great gift! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteLovely tribute, Ally. Thank you from yet another with a soft spot in my heart and fond memories of my time spent on Rocky Top. Karen (Rogers) Watson, UTK '82
ReplyDeleteThis from-the-cradle-Vol-fan teared up reading your tribute. Despite the myriad of wonderful, gushing tributes to Pat that we've seen and read from the national pundits, yours was the most honest and articulate.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
You are one classy kid...more of us UT and Coach Summitt fans need to read this. Met your Dad at WBHOF ceremony and have to say he was extremely nice, gave me a new perception of him.
ReplyDeleteAlly, reading your blog has me rethinking my dislike for The Huskies! As a former student (during Pat's playing days) at Pat's alma mater The University of Tennessee at Martin, I got to witness first hand the greatness of Pat Head Summits even as a college student. To know that you also understand and appreciate her is very appreciated by me. Geno did a great job bringing you up to be a very intelligent compassionate young lady! You really would've fit in fine with us down here. Bravo for a great article!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written Ally !
ReplyDeleteVery well put. And simply for you. I have never been a UConn fan, but had the great pleasure of meeting your father on an early morning at the airport in St Thomas. He was funny, helpful and polite, while I was shocked that "Geno Auriemma" would take notice and offer asssitance to a no body in an airport. I may still not be a UConn fan, but I'm a huge Geno fan. And always a life long Pat Summit fan.
ReplyDeleteGreat Tribute 2 A Great Woman.... Couldn't Have Been Said Any Better.... Pat Summitt Is Definitely An All Around Great Person (Can't Find any Better)....
ReplyDeleteOne word describes you young lady... Class. That's it, plain and simple.
ReplyDeleteThank you. That was truly beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI would love to shake your hand and give you a hug for what you have written. I, too, am not one of your father's biggest fans, however I know he loves the game. He is a student of the game as we all are, well except Pat Summitt. She is the teacher, of basketball and life. I have been a fan of hers and the game for 30+years. It is my dream to meet the woman before this evil robs her of herself. I had an aunt recently pass from Alzheimer's and another was recently diagnosed with it.
ReplyDeleteIt is a "memory-leeching" pariah that always seems to attack those with the strongest minds, dreams, desires, but also resolve. I just needed to share with someone who I see understands and sees "coach", the game, and the rivalry as separate entities. I would have loved to see UT and UCONN play each other but for the shear sense of the competitive spirit and beauty of the game. They may have had differences but the mutual respect has always been there. No one sees it, or at least those who should don't. Ok I will get off my soapbox now.
Ally, your words brought tears to this UT/Pat Summitt fan's eyes. How thoughtful, sensitive, and caring you are to have written such a wonderful piece. Well done! Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou, young lady, are a class act and a tribute to your parents. Those of us who love Pat deeply appreciate your kind words about her. I truly believe that God has a plan for each of us and although it's difficult to understand why this horrid disease has afflicted Coach Summitt, that very fact has brought attention to Alzheirmer's. My husband is now in the severe stage of it & as his caregiver I'm grateful for all that Coach is doing to raise awareness & hopefully one day there'll be a cure. And when there is, I hope people will realize what Coach Summitt has done in the battle.
ReplyDeleteThere are generous, heartfelt & terrific sentiments in this essay, but it’s too long by half & it should’ve been about Ally & Pat, NOT Geno & UConn. We get it: you’re his daughter. But please shift your focus & get to the point.
ReplyDeleteThat was meanly stated and uncalled for.
DeleteIt's a blog, not a course assignment. A common definition of a blog is "a Web site containing the writer's or group of writers' own experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often having images and links to other Web sites." If you're not interested in what the writer chooses to share via *her* medium. you are welcome to spend your reading hours elsewhere.
DeleteIt's "her" blog and she can do it the way she pleases. And, from this long-time UT Women's Basketball/Pat Summit fan I thought it was one of THE best tributes I have read so far. And, so unexpected & appreciated. OMG! Thank you, Ally.
DeleteAnd what is YOUR point? (See the original post above)
DeleteYou write as you wish, Ally. We wouldn't follow your blog if we didn't appreciate your insight!
guess this person took the time to read it anyhow !!!some people are just too stupid to get her point..I thought it was well said and from her heart.. and us Alabama fans love the Lady Vols and Pat..
DeleteWOW, YOU GOT IT ON THE HEAD... NO PUN INTENDED. ITS ABOUT SOMETHING SO MUCH BIGGER THAN BASKETBALL.. PROUD TO SAY I'M FROM TENNESSEE.... GO PAT GO. AND YOU MY DEAR ARE A RARE JEWEL.. YOUR DAD SHOULD BE VERY PROUD OF A FINE DAUGHTER
DeleteWell it "rained" on my face as I read this tribute. Wow! Thank you. UConn and Geno have helpeed the LV become better. Thank you. As a fellow blogger I will now become a follower of your blog. Again thank you and WOW!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute!
ReplyDeleteWell said Ally, thanks for an even better look at Coach Summit and all of her accomplishments! Your heartfelt words WILL put an end to the CT journalist(s) who are clearing not focussed on anything other than sensationalism! GODSPEED COACH SUMMIT and Thank You again Ally!
ReplyDeleteWhat a touching tribute to Coach Summitt. It is beautiful, thank you for writing such a heartfelt tribute to a woman, that many women (and men) owe their careers to. She is a giant. I am a die hard UT fan. Go Lady Vols!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great article! Thanks for your kind words for our wonderful Coach!
ReplyDeleteWell done young lady. You are a credit to yourself, your parents and your university. I look forward to reading more of your blogs.
ReplyDeletegreat story!
ReplyDeleteAlly - This is a magnificent tribute to Coach Summitt, and to your parents (for raising you and encouraging your abilities). I'm a second generation UT grad, with two degrees from UTK; I bleed orange! I appreciate everything you have observed and noted about Pat. I also appreciate the opportunity to see Geno in a different light,as a man and a father, and his relationship with Pat, with more humanity! Thank you for sharing your perspective and your respect with us all. You'd be welcome on "the Hill" anytime! Peace.
ReplyDeleteYou said it better than I could. Fact is, I didn't like Gino but reading this beautiful tribute by such a talented young LADY - well, I'll see him in a much better light also.
DeleteWOW! well stated! from a UT and Pat Summitt fan....former DIII player and current coach - - thanks for reminding me how important it is to LISTEN and learn from others!
ReplyDeleteAlly, you are truly a vision of what many people want to be. Your words are soothing, yet inspirational as you show there are good people still left in this world. I personally, am a HUGE fan for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, and loved what you had to say about the biggest name in college basketball. Pat is someone who touches peoples lives without even saying a word, and you were able to experience that first hand. Your words were lifting, as tears formed in my eyes as I read every word. I am not a UCONN fan, but I must say I am a Geno fan for all he has accomplished in his career. God Bless you, and your family as you move forward in your lives.
ReplyDeleteDerek Davis
South Bend, IN
as a long time Lady Vol season ticket holder, I have witnessed many of those great UT/UConn games that helped propel the women's game to the forfront. Thank you for your article and you know, she would have insisted you call her Pat....
ReplyDeleteMy wife and myself are big TLV fans. What a great article. Thanks for writing it but even more thanks for your belief and recognition of the greatness in Pat. Seeing this in Pat, with your background, says almost as much about you as it does about Pat. I will look forward to more of your writings.
ReplyDeleteI knew something was going to be great when my daughter (who is not a great sports fan) forwarded it to me, telling me to stop everything, don't get coffee, etc.,just start reading, and was she right.
I will admit that when I have seen your Dad in the past my thoughts are not always positive but in the future when I see him I will think of you and it will help my disposition and cause me to remember your article.
Thank you for this tribute to a classy lady. TN fan here...
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post! Coach Summitt has shown us what a class act she is, and what a sense of humor she has! Thank you for writing this tribute to her. What a shame that the media has to blow things out of proportion.
ReplyDeleteLady Vols Fan
Well done. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOMG how can you write such an article about one of the great nemeses of UConn WCBB? Doesn't the Husky Nation despise this woman? Well truth is she was a rival and she was the anti-Geno. She was the brass ring we reached for but couldn't catch for so many years that she became something different. She became the Queen of the Evil Empire to many UConn fans. But as you so eloquently put it she was so much more than that. She was a great coach, is a great human being, is a leader, is a woman who not only overcame barriers but who left them in ruins as she broke them down. She was someone to be admired, respected and yes, even loved for not just what she did for WCBB, what she did for women's sports but for what she did for every life she touched. I was there at the Final Four this year when she walked in at the end of the UConn open practice and was truly touched by the standing ovation she was given, by fans of all the schools. Thanks for writing this article and thanks to Coach Summitt for everything she did for the world.
ReplyDeleteAlly,
ReplyDeleteLike ALL the others have said.....you have done a Wonderful job of sharing your thoughts about our "1st Lady" in Tennessee. Both of my parents died with dementia and I am afraid that I could be heading down that same path. Pat has always been an EXAMPLE of GREATNESS to me and Now she is evenmore an Example of how I need to treat this dreaded disease with Dignity and Courage. Thank you for sharing your memories in such a Wonderful way.
Godspeed.....
Larry from Knoxville, TN
What a respectful, respectable young woman you are. A true tribute to both Pat and your father. As we say here in the south, you done em proud gurl! ;)
ReplyDeleteAs a UCONN alumni and fan, I say, thank you for showing us another side of the “Iron Lady of the South” This was truly a very touching tribute and one that every WBB should read.
ReplyDeleteWell done Ally!Perfect example of one of the many ways Pat has touched young women's lives. Great tribute!
ReplyDeleteAs a Lady Vol fan for many years, I appreciate what you have written about Coach Summitt. There will never be another like her. Thank you for expressing what you felt despite some of the backlash it may have caused you. Wishing you the very best in the future. Your kind words have touched a lot of Big Orange hearts.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed your post. I'm from the "other" UT (Texas) and have always respected and admired Coach Summitt. Thank you for your special insight!
ReplyDeletewow powerful words. cant really think of to much else to say but thank you
ReplyDeletegreat job ally from my orange colored heart, and a great job to your parents for raising such a respectful young lady. god bless you, and go vols.
ReplyDeleteWOW Well said..now pass the tissues
ReplyDeleteTremendous. Truly. Your dad's gotta be proud of you and probably crying a bucket of tears because I sure am. Thank You for speaking for so many....and so eloquently.
ReplyDeleteKudos on a great essay from someone who has been a UConn fan almost as long as you've been alive :)
ReplyDeleteAs a fellow UConn Alum, I could not have said it better. And as someone with a journalism degree, I was also very disappointed in the way the CT media handled things. Pat has paved the way for many, just as your dad has. But like you said, Pat did it first and that can't be ignored. I have ALWAYS had a great deal of respect for Pat (and your father too, of course) and I wish her the best of luck in the future as she fights this illness like the champ that she is.
ReplyDeleteWow. Thanks for writing your thoughts and feelings. It means the world to us and I know to Pat too. It is amazing how someone you have never met can touch you so deeply. I've watched Pat all my life and am just in awe of her. I am sorry to say I didn't even know your dad had a daughter, but I am so in awe of you right now. Words that I can't express are represented by the tears streaming down my face. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI lived in Ct in 1993 thru 1996 while my husband went to Law School. I became enamored(yes I know it will be gross to hear) with your father and actually went to a few games in Storrs. Both my daughter(age 11 and totally into your Dad too btw) and I are OK fans(your dad I believed had a hand in Sherri Coale believing she was "good" enough - so I truly believe your dad has more sides than he shows), WE are also CT fans. I loved the rival of CT and UT and loved watching both Pat and Geno coaching. Without HER doing what she has done...I dont think the sport would be what it is today. PAT SUMMITT IS Women's Basketball - and for that I thank her and so does my daughter who aspires to play division 1 bball. Much love and prayers to her and her family. Thank you for your insight. ps - I too came from Italy as a youngster(heck the primary language in my parents house is still Italian). I follow your Dad as he is an inspiration to what we can do even coming from "nothing".
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this article. Pat did (and does) have a way of making one feel like she is just "Pat." I remember when she returned from coaching the USA to Olympic gold. I ran into her in the UT athletic department (I was a student intern). I said congratulations, she stopped and talked for a minute... then laughed and said she had to get up to her farm because she needed to water and tend to her garden. "Strawberries don't pick themselves." At the heart of it, she and Geno are more alike than different. They share a drive that is rare. God bless you and your family.
ReplyDeleteIt's disappointing that you missed by column about your dad and Pat which I wrote at the Kingston, R.I. Regional on March 27. If you would like, I can send you the story so you can read it.
ReplyDeleteChris Elsberry
CT Post
Maybe she did read it. She might be talking about the vast majority of media.
DeleteAnd even more disappointing that you are publicly making this about you.
DeleteIf you really read the article it is not about herself, it's about Pat.
DeleteThat is the best thing I've read in quite a while. Wonderful thoughts you expressed here and sure to be an inspiration to everyone who reads it. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteTennessee Lady Vol Fan
Thank you for this wonderful story. I enjoyed reading it and imaging how you felt then and now. A wonderful story about a GREAT LADY!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. Thank you, Ally, for such a great and emotionally-driven article. :)
ReplyDeleteVFL
Thank you for all the kind words toward our Coach. As a life long Vols fan, I truly enjoyed the rivalries our schools have shared over the years, but when something like this happens it puts a lot of things into perspective. If anyone has the drive and will to beat this disease it's Coach Summitt.
ReplyDeletereading the above has made it rain on my face too,Pat is all that and more to the VOL nation! sHE IS ALL TRUE SOUTHERN GRACE GOD BLESS
ReplyDeleteAlysa, you did an amazing job on this tribute. It is perfect and I love it (plus your background is orange, too, ha!)
ReplyDeleteIn all seriousness, though, I must admit as a kid growing up, I basically detested your Dad and UConn (please forgive me!) and I just loved Pat and Tennessee. (Funny thing, I live in North Carolina, not far from where Shea is from!) ... Anyways, you grow up with a passion of you're gonna like one and hate the other. As I've matured, I realized there was no reason to hate Geno nor UConn. I've changed my mentality and while I'm probably not the biggest UConn fan, I have an amazing amount of respect for what your Dad has done for the program at UConn, as well as women's basketball.
I grew up with Kay Yow in my backyard and if she wasn't my # 1 role model, then Pat was # 2. But as you grow older, you look back and realize how wrong you were about so many things. I guess as a kid, I didn't want anyone to beat Pat's or Tennessee's records (especially not Geno, ha!), but as I've grown older, sure you realize that records are meant to be broken and whomever can break them deserves credit and respect.
So it's so nice to see such a wonderful post by you about a terffic lady (not saying I didn't think you couldn't do it!) but anyways, thanks for sharing your tribute with everyone! (And no, I'm not a Geno hater anymore!!)
Thank you so much for a clear view of the Big Picture. Oftentimes, we fans can't see the forest for the trees. You, Ally, have the rare ability to see the entire forest while gazing at two larger than life redwood trees(Geno and Pat). God bless you and the father who raised you. UCONN just got a new fan as long as they aren't playing UT or any of our SEC brethren.
ReplyDeleteThank You young lady, great article. God bless.
ReplyDeleteGo Vols!
I hope your masters is in journalism.You are a wonderful,insightful writer.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your classy tribute to Coach Summitt.
Made my day on so many levels. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThank you from a UT fan. We are all reflections of our parents in some ways; you are correct this is bigger than the "rivalry", but I tip my hat to you and your family for the grace you showed here.
ReplyDeleteVery nice. Thanks for the heartfelt tribute. Rivalries make great college sports, but after the game, we're all on the same side, especially against Alzhiemer's.
ReplyDeleteGreat article Ally!!! I too am a UT Basketball fan and loves Pat Summitt...
ReplyDeleteWell done young lady!
ReplyDeleteI am just 2 hours from Knoxville and a big Lady Vol fan. I just want to say Thank you! Thank you for all you said in this article regarding Coach Summitt and those worthless news people! You made me cry but I do everytime when it comes To Pat Summitt!
ReplyDeleteHP
What a fine daughter your parents have raised. Pat is truly an amazing lady and the best role model for all of us!
ReplyDeleteWow think itd be hard to read this with a dry eye
ReplyDeleteYou are a classy lady! Thank you from a Vols fan in Knoxville. Thank you for realizing that basketball is just a game, but what Pat has to live with is for the rest of her life. You have quite a gift as a writer.
ReplyDeleteNicely done... a real class act Ally!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the caring, accurate tribute to our Pat Head Summitt. Your're both class acts. BeckyIB <3
ReplyDeleteDown here in Knoxville, you now have many admirers! I guess it's time to reciprocate by giving your Dad his due, as a great coach and father. : - ) Your Mother must be great as well.
ReplyDeleteI get weary of reading news coverage or commentary on any topic these days, and worse, of reading people's comments at the end. There is so much hatred and disrespect on both sides of any issue that it becomes very depressing. Thank you for being a great example of a good commentator with good sports(wo)manship. Hang on to your ability to see out of both eyes and speak with passion, unafraid.
Wow, Geno raised an amazing young woman! Thanks for your insightful and compassionate thoughts. Vol fan from Knoxville.
ReplyDeletePat is not just the winningest coach in history she is a class act and all of Tennessee is most proud of who she is and what she has done for all of us.
ReplyDeleteI live in Ct. and I'm a UCONN Husky fan but I have so much respect for Pat Summit and wish her the very best.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully words! Thank you for your honesty, transparency, and heart!
ReplyDeleteYou are the real deal my friend ... Excellent blog ... This world needs more people JUST. LIKE. YOU.
ReplyDeleteYou have written something that should be done in calligraphy and given to Pat Summit - framed. There has to be a Vol fan out there somewhere who has that talent...but nothing can equal the talent, and the goodness of your heart and spirit. Your Dad and Mom should be very proud.
ReplyDeleteNice work gal! You get it. And Godspeed to a great Lady. Many thanks to Pat for paving the way for my daughter too.
ReplyDeleteAnother Vols fan here and I want to add my "thank you" to all of the others that have commented here.
ReplyDeleteOutstanding. You get it. Wish more people could write like this with no angle, just a heartfelt recollection and rare "back of the house" perspective.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's all I can say, Wow!
ReplyDeleteTell your mom she did a good job, Ms.
ReplyDeleteI ain't talking to your dad, so I ain't got a message for him.
GoVols!
Okay...GoUConn. (I'm a former NLondon subsailor...so I think New England is nice, even in winter, except during basketball season.)
I've adored Pat for many years for what she means to me as both a native of TN and an alumnus of UTK. I have raised two sons and did not have any daughters. One of those sons has now given me two granddaughters that I adore who are now 5 and 2. I have no idea whether they will pursue sports or will even be good at it. However, it has hit home to me that Pat has done at least as much or more that anyone in this country to allow them to pursue that dream if they choose. Thank you for recognizing that!
ReplyDeleteI am by no means a Tennessee fan, in fact I abhor those lady vols. However, you have to respect Coach Summitt for her contribution to women's sports. Period.
ReplyDeleteP.S. U-C-O-N-N UCONN! UCONN! UCONN!
one of the best written articles of its type I have ever read . . . thanks a million for your insight
ReplyDeleteA truly heartfelt summation of what Pat has meant to you and most of us in the realm of women's basketball. She'll always
ReplyDeletereign as the true trendsetter of the sport for women's ball.
You may have just done more to thaw UT/UConn relations than anyone ever thought possible. I even think better of Geno knowing he helped to bring you up! A Lady Vols Fan
ReplyDeleteThank you for respecting Coach Summitt, she is a one of a kind on and off the court. Lady Vols Fan from Shalimar, Fl
ReplyDeleteAlysa,
ReplyDeleteThank-you for realizing all of this is more than a game of basketball. This is about a wonderful woman, a leader and mentor to countless of young women. She is a true Volunteer. She will always be our coach and inspiration. You have helped us all to see around the corner, past the rivalry, past the silly media hype, in such a personal way.
I am saving your article. You have a gift that is beyond your years. I am proud of you for being the woman you are... please continue to write. Your mother and father have raised you well!
And... I think that there is a bit of orange in that big heart of yours! We here in Tennessee thank you for that.
Love from Rocky Top,
University of Tennessee, Class of 1981
As a University of Kentucky fan, I want to thank you for reaching above the rivals and the hype of women's sports. I too remember a time I was blessed, just last year, waiting long after a game in Lexington, KY, to speak with Coach Summitt. Knowing she was possibly not going to speak with me nor even acknowledge a UK fan after getting beat buy us; I had to try and say something to the lady I had respected for years. I walked up to her and she stopped, took my hand as I thanked her for not what she had done for women's basketball but for women in general. She did look me squarely in the eyes as I spoke and as she also thanked me for taking the time out to speak with her!!! Taking the time to thank her? Taking the time, my little time to thank a great woman, WOW..I was blown away with her graciousness!! I thank HER for her TIME and effort to stop for just a moment, for a rival fan to be able to shake HER hand! Gracious,kind and the picture of integrity and character, she kept smiling as she walked away to the bus. Burned into my memory and heart til I depart. Thank you for your view of this wonderful wonder woman.
ReplyDeleteof all the comments so far, this one made me cry....
Deleteand I'm a grouchy ole 57 yo w male...
It's always amazing to me when some people feel the need to chime in with comments regarding potential typos, length of story and the like. The blog should be taken for what it is ... a touching and honorable tribute to a woman who is most deserving. I guess the bad has to many times be taken along with the good. There is no bad here, though, Ally. Only good. You should be commended, not condemned. Not in any way condemned.
ReplyDeleteVery well written on Couch Summitt (Pat). I would love for this to be printed in the Nashville paper as well as Knoxville paper. Vol fans all over should be able to read this as it would knock the edge off your dad (a little) for most of us. Your insights go well beyond your years and your parents should be very proud of you. Oh yea GO VOLS!
ReplyDeleteThis girl from Tennessee thanks you for sharing this story. I thank you most sincerely.
ReplyDeleteI'm not much of a basketball fan but I am a Pat fan and I respect coaches and the job they have to oversee youth and make adults of them. She has done it better than most. This post reflects how many feel about Pat and you captured it better than any journalist could even comprehend. Job well done.
ReplyDeleteAlly, your words touched this old guy deeply. May you always see things in this perspective. I'm sure your mom and dad are very proud of you and are very happy for the young woman you have become. We should all overlook the rivalries and see the big picture as eloquently as you have. Your words have made me a better person for having read this. May God continue to bless you and your talents. A grateful Vol fan, Lloyd.
ReplyDeleteYou made me cry. I grew up wishing I could play basketball (no atheletic skills at all) so I could be a Lady Vol. Coach Summitt is the epitome of grace, and toughness, and determination. Well written post.
ReplyDeleteI love Pat Summitt. She's the best.
ReplyDeletePat Summit will forever be the First Lady of Womens Sports. You captured the way that most people feel. Your parents should be very proud of your talents. Keep fighting Pat and we will keep backing you.
ReplyDeleteThe article that you have written is wonderful. Thank you for the kind words that you have said about Pat Summitt. We need more people like you to portray things as they really are. A very well written post.
ReplyDeleteA Tennessee Lady Vols Fan.
Ally,
ReplyDeleteWell stated...your spot on. It is also nice to know your father understands his greatest and most important role...being a father. My gut tells me only a good father, and probably a great mother, could have raised a young lady with such insight, kindness, and understanding of the human spirit. I may have to start reading your blog!
A very classy and well-written post. From a Tennessee fan, thank you for recognizing all that Pat Summitt is to the sport of basketball and to sports in general.
ReplyDeleteSo well done on many levels. Pat IS women's basketball, and Dad is a wonderful Dad!!!
ReplyDelete(and a pretty fair coach too!!!) Thanks for the article.
You have a true gift for writing. Reading it gave me chills, especially considering the perspective of who was penning it. We do need more mutual respect for those coaches transcend their sport to promote change for the greater good, regardless of whether they are heated rivals. Kudos for an excellent job in doing just that!
ReplyDeleteI have a daughter turning 20 this week and am so proud of her. And the manner in which you just honored Coach Summit makes all parents proud...As a former high school coach, I am 100% certain that this brought not only a teardrop, a sniffle, and a smile to your mother but to your Dad, the war-tested Coach, as well. I wish you the best in grad school...you are quite a gifted writer, too!!
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Kenny E. Williams
I was a student at UT with Pat Head. I can assure all of the UConn fans that she is as genuine as depicted. She is at the "Summitt" of Rocky Top and the peak of class. Thank you for joining her on the mountain!
ReplyDeleteI would like to share a story of my own that illuminates seeing the "other side".
ReplyDeleteI am in my mid-50s male, married, 5 children, and did not have a favorable view on how "today's youth" were turning out. They seemed self-centered, "I need it NOW", etc kind of people.
In 2004, my eldest daughter was graduating high school, and my wife and I were invited to "Senior Night". While there I witnessed skits, teacher tributes and a slideshow presentation reminiscing their years together. Seeing all this, and also the students interactions before, during and after was enlightening.
I no longer have my previous perceptions. Today I see my children and their friends as something special, with abilities to grow and the drive to succeed.
Reading this has changed my view of your father. As many others have written, his demeanor that the world has seen can be a turn-off. Of course that is not all that he is. We now have proof of his non-basketball persona, in the form of a wonderful daughter that displays so many of the traits that I hope my 3 daughters can add to their wonderful personalities.
Thank you for this gift. I will check in on this blog from time-to-time for more of your insight.
You've said some very eloquent and wonderful things about our beloved coach. I'm thankful that people like you exist that can speak passionately and unbiased about someone such as her. To express it in a way many of us are incapable. You do your family proud, and I thank you for saying that which many cannot.
ReplyDeleteThis expressed everything. You showed that there is more to your father than the angry side everyone sees on tv. You also wrote a beautiful tribute to a lady that i believe has made women's college basketball what it is today. As you said without her, the things your father has accomplished could not have been done. She is the queen of women's basketball and it will take a while for someone to get to her level. This coming from a UCONN fan. You can not deny Pat Summitt her accomplishments and people should not over look them either. She is a great woman and she will go down in history as just that. Even 20 years from now people will know who Pat Summitt is. So I thank you because like many have said you wrote something that so many could not convey. And you are the daughter of the "enemy".
ReplyDeleteMy Godchild, Kiki Robertson, is a basketball star in the islands, and her love for the game can only be spotlighted by the contributions of your father, and Coach Pat. This page is your torch, keep it lit girl.
ReplyDeleteAs a former college basketball player, I have always admired Coach Summitt. You are right that not enough can be said about her contributions to women's athletics. Thanks for writing this. Your blog has brought attention to a great coach and to the need for sports writers to focus on what's important. (Why are we still focused on the emotional side of women's sports?!? Argh!!!) Looking forward to your blog on Title IX.
ReplyDeleteI met Coach Simmitt in Indianapolis at an WNBA game. it was a unique moment--here in Indiana over 100 people attended the private event. she was signing basketballs and even a lady's thigh. she was honored during the WNBA game for her accomplishments in WBB. as the last person to greet her, she looked me in the eye and thanked me for coming and supporting the WNBA. it was i who was in awe.
ReplyDeleteI went to church with Pat/Tyler for many years, when she had time to attend. She spoke at our and many other churches and events through the years. She is a great teacher of life as well as basketball. She has made a profound impact on our world and continues to do so through her foundation. Ally - you are a classy young lady, which obviously goes well beyond this blog. It points to how you see the world, which is the same way Pat has made a difference. Don't lose that. Thanks for this tribute and a big wish from a Tennessee Vol for continued success in all of your endeavors.
ReplyDeleteI am a former female Tarheel athlete and have always admired Coach Summitt. Her focus and fire are what draw me to her as a Coach and as a person. In terms of what she accomplished for women's athletics, she is a LEGEND. Your blog entry was extremely well written and was very much appreciated by this player that always has "Carolina on My Mind" but respects the UC and UT programs too much to mind the rivalry. Best of luck to you in grad school and in all that you want out of life!
ReplyDeleteGirl it's too early in the morning to be searching in my purse for a kleenex, but I am. Your words spoke to my heart and I'm sure everyone who is a Lady Vols fan and furthermore a fan of women's basketball. Pat Summitt is truly a legend.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful article and so many things so well said! God made you well, dear Ally! As someone privileged to live in Knoxville and whose blood does run orange I say a great big THANK YOU for words well spoken! We are all so proud of our Pat, always have been, but she is shining bright in this latest game she has been handed. If she should forget, HEAVEN will remember and store up for her a job well done. I think Pat and Tyler are being upheld by many, many prayers these days and that is a good place to be.I will come back to read your words many times. God bless you.... and your daddy.
ReplyDeleteWell written, Alysa!!! I have had the pleasure to work for Geno as a former equipment manager and the opportunity to meet Alysa. I was always treated with respect by him, his staff, and his family, the UCONN "family, and enjoyed my time there.
ReplyDeleteI also had the opportunity to meet Pat Summitt in New Orleans, prior to my time at UCONN, when she lost the National Championship to UCONN. She was a class act to myself and treated me with respect too as I spoke with her and her son briefly after the game. Wish her the best of luck with the disease and retirement. What both coaches have done for the sport has been remarkable and it is unfortunate how the media portrays things sometimes! Good luck Alysa, Pat and Geno!
I am a University of Virgina fan and even though Tennessee is a rival of ours, I respect the heck out of Coach Summitt. UT came to our place to play us last season after her diagnosis, and when she was introduced the entire arena stood and cheered for her. That is the admiration she commanded and deserved and got. She may have coached women's basketball but she could have coached any sport in any era...
ReplyDeleteYou have given words to my thoughts about Coach Summit. UConn might be close to where it now is, without her, but it would have taken much longer because women's basketball would not have been nearly so important. God Bless her and her family.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what your comment. Thank you, Alysa for giving us a side of Pat Summit we would have never have seen otherwise.
DeleteI found this blog via the News Sentinel sports page today. Thanks to them also for posting such an excellent article.
As a proud University of Tennessee graduate and a bona fide East Tennessee hillbilly, I want to thank you, Alysa, for penning one of the most stirring tributes to an outstanding lady, a wonderful ambassador for our beloved university, and a truly great human being. We all have benefited from having Pat Summitt pass our way and, unfortunately, we will all grieve not having her as an example of how we should live our lives. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing post. I am a Tennessee fan and have been since the day I went to basketball camp there. I was fortunately enough to meet Pat, have her autograph my book and have my picture taken with her. She is truly an amazing woman and has done so much not just for women's basketball but women's athletics in general. Thank you for writing something like this.
ReplyDeleteAlly, this Tennessee fan and resident would like to say how much your writing touched me and others. It was a young and very classy lady talking about an older and very classy lady and it was wonderful. God Bless you and your Dad and family and Pat. Excuse me. I must go. I think it's starting to rain in my eyes too!
ReplyDeleteThank You from all of us in Tennessee!! You are welcome here anytime!!
ReplyDeleteAlly- from some one who has been blessed enough to know you and your family, not surprised at the class and deep thought you have shown in your blog. Great blog and please keep it up
ReplyDeleteBrian S
You are a daughter every father dreams of having. I am sure your family is very proud of you. You Ally are a class act just like your father and Coach Summit. She is the reason I started watching womens basketball in the first place.
ReplyDeleteAlly - from someone that was born in East Tennessee and loved UT athletics from the start - this was so well done! I too have never really "liked" UConn lady hoops - but Geno did one thing very well - raised a very classy daughter! Coach Summitt was the pioneer of women's college basketball - and you reminded us all of that - even if you are Geno's daughter. Bravo!
ReplyDeleteA Lady Baylor Bear fan. I am also a Lady Vol fan too. I was also one of the people that stood up at Ferral Center last year and gave your Dad a standing "O".
ReplyDeleteYou said it ALL about Pat, bravo!
Thank you, Ally. You expressed from afar what those of us closer to Pat Summitt feel for her. God bless you and your entire family.
ReplyDeleteAlysa, as a student at UT and a life long Vol fan (and VFL) this was amazing. This was amazing for any sports fan. I know I speak for every Vol when I say, thank you. This means so much to all of us. I'm not going to lie, my feelings about UConn were the same as every UConn fan's are about UT. But after reading this I can't help but have major respect for you and your father and I can honestly say those previous feelings are gone. Thanks again, this was inspiring.
ReplyDeleteAlysa, as many have already said this was so beautifully written. As a girl from Tennessee who married a guy from Connecticut, I have been exposed to a bit of the rivalry. Now, while I am from TN I am not a UT fan EXCEPT for women's basketball and that was due to Coach Summitt. I am not an athlete, however as a woman I can appreciate wholeheartedly the contributions Coach Summitt has given the world of women's sports. The coverage & perception of the UCONN/UT rivalry has always annoyed me - especially since the "falling out." I have heard my husband's family (die-hard UCONN fans) make disparaging remarks about UT basketball and Coach Summitt and I always felt these were fueled by the media perception. Thank you for your gracious remarks - they are noted and appriciated!
ReplyDeleteYOU MY DEAR......are what,we as parents, strive to achieve as we are raising OUR children..We have 2 daughters..20&30 and a gran-daughter under 2.Big sports fans and participants. Sure that your parents are as proud of you as Pat's are her! May "YOUR" path be free of stones and pebbles. May God Bless and keep you during all you travels and endeavors.This article has probably helped Pats illness more than modern medicine ever can! Salute!!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat story. Well written. Nice insight into Pat and Geno. I'm a UCONN fan and alumna and I have always admired and appreciated Pat Summitt, and I'd bet most UCONN fans would say the same.
ReplyDeleteAs you you, Ally, you need to keep writing. How about an e-book sold on Amazon? You can make decent money - and you obviously have the connections to promote your stories. Then there are sites that sell short stories for people who want a shorter read they can finish on the plane.
I know the blogging for the Courant didn't work out a few years ago, but you really need to try making money from your writing. I'm sure you have lots of followers as a result of this piece. I'd be willing to pay $1.99 to read about your behind-the-scenes stories at the Olympics. Start writing! And keep writing.
Just one critique of your blog site. It's kind of irritating to read with the background imposing on the text area.
Well said. Hope this relieves some of the anamosity UConn feels toward Pat and UT
ReplyDeleteHOW DARE YOU pen a tribute to Coach Summitt amid the fierce rivalry of two of the greatest WBB teams on the earth, totally casting the importance of sports aside!
ReplyDeleteHOW DARE YOU simply assume fans of both schools rise above competitiveness and share a moment of humanity!
HOW DARE YOU show another side to your father by interjecting implications of a family life with the laughter of your mother and the amusement of your father tearing into every Lady Vol Fans right to detest him.
HOW DARE YOU expose the callousness of sports writers who despite the seriousness of one of life’s worst disease used it as an opportunity to capitalize on their personal vendettas.
Finally, HOW DARE YOU make me cry while at work!
From the depth of my heart this LADY VOL FAN thanks you for your graciousness.
HOW DARE you post something so sensible.
DeleteBest comment so far. Thank you.
UConn fan (living in Phila)
WOW !! you really messed up my face !!! shame on you
ReplyDeleteFrom yet another Tennessee faithful that bleeds Orange to the core, thank you for this. Very touching.
ReplyDeleteAlly, I am a LV Fan. I have respect for your dad and anger toward him. I have new repect for Geno,not because of the game of basketball. Any man whom has a part of raising such an opened minded, well spoken, and brave daughter has accomplished greatness! Thank you for your blog about Coach Summitt.
ReplyDeleteIf the cold war between two countries can end maybe we (TN and Conn. fans) should both work on the neon green freaks in Texas...Baylor! I am tired of hearing about Brit and R2D2!
love it! GIRL YOU GOT SOME CLASS!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!!! Well done young Lady! Your Father should be proud! I will really miss seeing that fire and passion on the sidelines!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous tribute. I have never liked your father due to his foul mouth and his verbal shots at Pat in the past but I certainly admire and respect you for your wonderful comments. We would have loved having you at Tennessee and you will always be welcome here. If you ever write a book come to Knoxville for your first autograph session.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ally for your beautiful tribute to Pat Summitt.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your life lesson on letting go of the small stuff and holding on to those we love and what's really important in life.
And as a longtime fan of UConn and your Dad, thank you showing us (once again) that there is more to Geno than the wiseguy on TV. Your parents have raised a remarkable and courageous young woman. Keep up the good work.
Very Nice!!! You are a class lady in any state of the USA. I only started to watch Woman Basketball because of the rivalry Geno VS. Pat. I LOVED to watch the PURENESS of two coaches that had the BIGGEST RESPECT for each other and the game to coach it the right way. They had heated battle and may have said things that kids shouldn't have heard but at the end of the game no matter who won, they would meet at half court eye to eye and shake each other hands with RESPECT.
ReplyDeleteGod bless the Summit's and Auriemma's families.
ND Woman Basketball Fan!!
As you can see, so many of us in Tennessee appreciate what you've written so very well here. Thanks for lending your voice to this.
ReplyDeleteWow!, young lady. What a deeply moving and considerably wise assessment of Coach Summitt's legacy and our (CT) singularly myopic view of it. You have clearly earned the respect that Coach Summitt showed you as a young girl.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
Very well said, I applaud you... it was sad to see her on the sidelines those last few games, a mere shadow of her old self.
ReplyDeleteIt's obvious people can learn class from you as well. Nicely done!
ReplyDeleteA very heart felt thank you from a life long Tennessee fan. You're a very talented writer. I will have to end every future tirade against your Dad with "but he sure did a great job raising his Daughter". Good luck to you.
ReplyDeleteAs many of the posts have written, I too, am very grateful for your very thoughtful tribute and acknowledgement of all that Pat Summitt has done for not just woman's basketball but for women's sports in general. Coach Summitt's success has has enabled countless young girls to believe that they too can compete and achieve at the highest levels of athletic competition.
ReplyDeleteCoach Summitt's leadership style demanded from all her players the idea that success comes from working hard each and everyday and not settling for the status quo. I so very much welcome and apppreciate that women athletes (to a degree) are respected more so then ever as a result of the tremendous success that the Lady Vols had during Coach Summitt's reign. More to the point, many men and boys, however reluctant were forced to embrace the excellance in competition that Coach Summitt's team's exhibited each and every game.
As a father of a 9 year old girl who plays lacrosse, I am forever indebted to pioneers like Coach Summitt, who have made it possible for my daughter to compete and feel that she belongs on the athletic playground.
Again, thank you Alysa for your extremely elegant and gracious blog on this most deserving of leaders. You are gem. Be well and Godspeed.
Regards,
As a long time Lady Vols fan and one who cheers against UConn....thank you. Thanks for realizing what and who Pat Summitt is and was. Thank you for realizing that even though it would have been great to see one last Geno vs. Pat-coached game, at least we can look back at the games they did coach against each other and we can applaud where the women's game is now because of both of them, but especially because of Pat. This was very well written and is a beautiful tribute to a woman who has touched many of us as a coach, teacher, and woman.
ReplyDeleteAs one of what I'm sure is the rare breed of UT alums and Lady Vol fans who are also residents of Connecticut, I add my thanks to all those above. Very well written, and I look forward to reading your Olympics blog. You have yourself a new fan, Ms. Auriemma.
ReplyDeletePlease keep writing.
We back Pat. As the Father of two daughters, I believe that she embodies the type of person that we should all try to become. I use her teachings everyday to become a better citizen and parent. Ally recounts the obvious qualities of our beloved Caoch and Tennessean that we have known for 40 years.
ReplyDelete